Pumpkin seed–crusted halibut with warm sazón carrot and cilantro salad
2 Servings, 400 Calories/Serving | 20 Minutes
This savory delight is quick to prepare and sure to please everyone at your table.
- 2 carrots (8 ounces total)
- 2 yellow onions
- 4T olive oil
- 4 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 skinless halibut fillets (~6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- 2T sazón seasoning (granulated garlic, cumin, onion powder, turmeric, coriander)
- 15 cherry tomatoes
- 1 lemon
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- Scrub carrots and trim ends; cut diagonal, ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Slice the onions into 1/2-inch strips.
- Heat frying pan to medium-high with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add carrots, onions, salt and pepper, and cook to crisp-tender, stirring occasionally (~6 minutes). Transfer to a serving bowl. Do not clean the pan.
- Coarsely chop pumpkin seeds and spread onto an even layer on a plate.
- Pat halibut filets dry with a paper towel; season lightly with salt and pepper and sazón seasoning, then gently press the fish into the pumpkin seeds, coating both sides.
- In the pan used for the carrots, heat another 2T olive oil in medium high. Add the fish, reducing heat to medium. Cook, turning once, until the filets are cooked through and pumpkin seeds are golden brown (~4 minutes per side). Place cooked fillets on a plate.
- Slice tomatoes in half.
- Juice half the lemon onto tomatoes; cut other half into wedges for garnish.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for garnish.
- To the bowl with carrots, add the tomatoes, lemon juice, 1T olive oil, and half the cilantro; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Finally, transfer the fish to individual plates and spoon the carrot salad alongside. Garnish with remaining cilantro and lemon wedge.
Mackerel and Caper Cream Cheese Bites
This Susan Hendrich original recipe takes less than 10 minutes and is guaranteed to disappear from the plate even faster:
10 ounces of smoked peppered mackerel
1/4 cup lite cream cheese
2 tablespoons green onion, chopped
3 Tablespoons capers
10 cherry tomatoes, sliced
One package of mini crisp toasts
Cut 1/2 inch square pieces of mackerel, set aside. Mix green onion into cream cheese, then spread a small amount onto each mini crisp toast. Using a fork, place a small pile of capers onto a cutting board. Pick up a cream cheese-smeared toast and press gently, smear-side down, into the pile of capers so that 6-8 capers are pressed into the cream cheese. Next press in one slice of cherry tomato and one piece of mackerel. Garnish with a single caper in the tomato slice. Makes about 20.